http://www.dianehenderiks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/beefstewbeauty.jpg 225 300 Diane Henderiks http://184.108.40.206/~dianehen/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/horizontal-logo1.png Diane Henderiks2013-01-22 16:56:392015-02-03 08:10:41Diane's Better Beef Stew
Diane’s Better Beef Stew
- 2lb stew beef (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef broth (low sodium is best)
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup dark beer (Guinness is my fave)
- 8oz white mushrooms (brushed and sliced)
- 3 carrots (sliced)
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 small onions (diced)
- 4 new potatoes (washed and diced)
- Place beef cubes in a large bowl. Add flour and use hands or spoon to toss and coat completely with flour.
- Heat half of oil in large Dutch oven and brown meat on all sides. Do not crowd the pan so do this in batches. Set beef aside.
- Deglaze pan with red wine and stir and scrape bottom of pan with wooden spoon to remove all brown bits.
- Return beef to pot, add next 13 ingredients (broth through black pepper) and stir thoroughly.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer one hour.
- In the meantime saute garlic and onion in olive oil in a medium skillet for about 10 minutes until onion begins to brown. Set aside.
- After one hour add potatoes and browned onion and garlic, cover and simmer one more hour.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.