http://www.dianehenderiks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/chickenrellenos.jpg 480 640 Diane Henderiks http://22.214.171.124/~dianehen/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/horizontal-logo1.png Diane Henderiks2012-09-13 15:54:552015-05-14 19:06:55Diane's Chicken Chile Rellenos
Diane’s Chicken Chile Rellenos
- 1lb chicken breast (boneless and skinless)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (leaves removed and finely chopped, stems reserved)
- 1 Small chipotle pepper (in Adobo sauce)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 Large onion (diced)
- 4 Medium Poblano Peppers
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (finely chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- In a small bowl, combine broth, vinegar, olive oil and cilantro stems
- Place chicken breast in even layer in medium baking dish. Pour broth mixture over chicken, cover and bake for about 25 minutes until fully cooked. Remove chicken from dish and place in fridge to cool.
- Remove chipotle from Adobo sauce, cut in half and mince half of the pepper finely. (Gloves are recommended when handling any hot peppers). Save the remaining half of pepper for the next time.
- Place oil in large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add onion and chipotle pepper and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and place in fridge to cool.
- Turn oven to broil. Place peppers on grill or in the oven and cook for about 10 minutes, turning ¼ turn every 2-3 minutes. The skin will begin to char. After the last turn, remove peppers and place in brown paper bag. Set aside to cool.
- When peppers are cool, peel gently. Make a slice down the pepper on one side lengthwise. Carefully remove the core and seeds doing your best to keep the pepper whole. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- When the chicken has cooled, shred with fork or hands. In large bowl, combine onion mixture, cilantro, cumin, salt and shredded cheese. Form the mixture into 4 elongated rolls and place them inside the peppers and close the peppers.
- Combine the cornmeal, garlic and chili powder in small bowl
- Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of cornmeal mixture on top of each stuffed pepper and place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 – 20 minutes. Serve warm with 2 tablespoons relleno sauce