Diane’s Cinnamon-Apple-Oatmeal Bread
1/2 cup low-fat or fat-free milk
1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1/8 cup canola oil
1/4 cup honey
1teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 egg plus 2 egg whites; lightly beaten
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespsoons ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 medium apples; peeled and chopped or grated (I prefer a combination of both)
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour 9 X 5 inch loaf pan.
2. Whisk wet ingredients in a small bowl, set aside.
3. Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl, set aside.
4. Make a well in dry ingredients, add wet ingredients, stir until dry ingredients are just moistened. Gently fold in apples
5. Pour batter into the prepared pan, sprinkle top with rolled oats and bake about 40 minutes, rotating pan after 20 minutes.
6. Bread is done when edges start to pull from the side and a toothpick comes out clean.
Makes 1 loaf
Note: If you want it a little sweeter, increase the honey. It is delicious toasted with a little reduced fat cream cheese and apple butter.