http://www.dianehenderiks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/chixanddumpplated.jpg 2292 2894 Diane Henderiks http://126.96.36.199/~dianehen/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/horizontal-logo1.png Diane Henderiks2012-01-15 16:53:052015-02-03 10:55:18Diane's Crock Pot Chicken and Veggies with Herbed Cornmeal Dumplings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cups low fat milk
- 2 Large sweet onions (sliced)
- 4 celery ribs and all leaves from head (sliced)
- 3 Large carrots (sliced)
- fresh thyme or dried
- fresh sage or dried
- fresh rosemary or dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 quarts low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1lb skinless, boneless chicken breast (trimmed of fat)
- 1lb white mushrooms (aliced)
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cups white cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Combine first 9 ingredients (onion through wine) in crock pot, cover and cook on low for 2 hours.
- Cut chicken in bite sized pieces – any shape you like.
- Add chicken and mushrooms to crock pot, stir, cover and cook on low 3 hours.
- Make a slurry with 1/4 cup of broth from crock pot and 2 tablespoons of whole wheat flour. Whisk into “stew” until incorporated. Stuff will get stuck in the whisk and that’s ok just keep whisking. Also, this is not a clear stock, there will be impurities, floaters, etc an that’s ok because more will come when the dumplings get dropped in
- Add frozen peas to crock pot, stir, cover, turn up to high and cook for 30 minutes.
- Mix dry ingredients for dumplings together in a mixing bowl (cornmeal through salt).
- Add oil and milk to dry ingredients and stir to make a thick batter.
- Drop dumplings by the tablespoon into simmering “stew”, cover and cook for about 10 minutes until dumplings are done.
Make the base
Thicken a bit
Make the dumplings