http://www.dianehenderiks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/stuffedpeppersthumb.jpg 2059 2136 Diane Henderiks http://22.214.171.124/~dianehen/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/horizontal-logo1.png Diane Henderiks2012-09-24 16:29:232015-02-03 09:19:57Diane's Family Favorite Stuffed Peppers
Diane’s Family Favorite Stuffed Peppers
- 4 Large bell peppers (any color)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1lb ground turkey, chicken, or lean beef
- 1 1/4 cup tomato sauce ((reserve 1/4 cup for sauce for peppers))
- 1 1/2 cup cooked wild rice, quinoa, wheat berries or any of your favorite whole grains
- 1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce ((2 for stuffing and 2 for the peppers))
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Decide how you would like to serve the peppers. You can keep the pepper whole or cut in half…I like them both ways so experiment.
- To prepare whole: Carefully slice 1/2 inch off of top of pepper, core and seed. Save top as a “presentation lid” for when peppers are stuffed and cooked.
- To prepare in half: Slice in half lengthwise, core and seed.
- Place peppers cut side down on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes. Flip peppers to cut side up, cover and bake 15 minutes longer or until they are al dente.
- Heat oil in large skillet, add garlic, onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes until onion browns. Set mixture aside.
- Add ground meat to skillet and cook, breaking into small pieces with back of a wooden spoon until cooked, drain (I save the liquid for my dogs and they love it!) and place in large bowl.
- Add onion and garlic mixture, 1 cup tomato sauce and the next 7 ingredients to cooked meat (whole grain through paprika). Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Using your clean hands fill peppers tightly with stuffing and lay cut side up, close together but not smooshed in baking dish.
- In small bowl whisk together reserved 1/4 cup tomato sauce, coffee, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and oregano.
- Drizzle mixture evenly over each filled pepper, cover and bake 30 minutes. (top whole peppers with top of pepper “lid” at this point.
- Uncover, baste with sauce in bottom of baking dish and bake another 10 minutes
Make the stuffing
Put it all together