http://www.dianehenderiks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/barley.jpg 2395 3232 Diane Henderiks http://188.8.131.52/~dianehen/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/horizontal-logo1.png Diane Henderiks2012-05-22 17:02:482015-02-03 10:29:38Diane's Fresh Herb & Lemon Barley "Risotto"
Diane’s Fresh Herb & Lemon Barley “Risotto”
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup celery (diced)
- 1/4 cup shallots (diced)
- 2 cups uncooked pearl barley
- 5 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves (finely chopped)
- Zest of 1 lemon plus 1 teaspoon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Lots of freshly grated black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese plus additional shaved for garnish
- Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, celery & shallots; sauté about 3 minutes or until shallots are translucent.
- Add barley, stir to coat with mixture.
- Add 4 cups broth, wine and water, stir and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until most of liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients. Add additional broth if needed.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese