http://www.dianehenderiks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/turkeychili.jpg 3456 4608 Diane Henderiks http://18.104.22.168/~dianehen/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/horizontal-logo1.png Diane Henderiks2012-10-14 16:31:562017-03-07 13:41:55Diane's Top-Notch Turkey Chili
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 jalapeño peppers (seeded and minced)
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon powdered hot spice
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2lb ground turkey
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 cups cooked kidney beans
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 bottle or can of stout or porter beer
- 3 cups fresh or canned diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of your favorite shredded cheese (I love a combo of pepper jack & sharp cheddar)
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion, jalapeño and all dried seasonings. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add ground turkey to pan and cook for about 5 minutes; breaking up with spoon while cooking.
- Return onion mixture to pot, add tomato paste and mix evenly through.
- Add the red bell pepper and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add next 6 ingredients (kidney beans through tomatoes) and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, partially cover and let simmer for about 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Add more beer as needed.
- Stir in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with shredded cheese if desired.
This recipe makes a lot of chili! Freeze what’s left for a quick, weekday dinner…you will be glad you did!