http://www.dianehenderiks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/enchiladacasserole.jpg 416 940 Diane Henderiks http://220.127.116.11/~dianehen/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/horizontal-logo1.png Diane Henderiks2014-02-05 15:06:342015-05-15 15:26:35Diane's Enlightened Enchilada Casserole
Diane's Enlightened Enchilada Casserole
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (coarsely chopped - stems included))
- 1 quart water
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1lb skinless and boneless chicken breast
- 1 cup plain low fat yogurt
- 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2/3 cups green onion (sliced)
- 1-1/2 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup black olives (sliced)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Enchilada sauce
- 8-10 tortillas
- 1/4 cup jalapeno peppers (finely chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place first 5 ingredients (cilantro through chicken) in pot on top of stove and poach chicken breasts until cooked (about 20 minutes).
- Remove chicken breasts, discard remaining water, cilantro and onion and set aside to cool.
- When cool, shred into small pieces. This can be done the day before.
- In large mixing bowl, gently combine shredded chicken, yogurt, sour cream, cumin, green onion, 1 and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover bottom of baking dish with enchilada sauce.
- Cover with even layer of tortillas, breaking into pieces as necessary.
- Top with even layer of chicken mixture followed by a layer of enchilada sauce.
- Repeat until chicken is used up and end with layer of tortillas.
- Top with enchilada sauce for recipe), cover and bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes.
- Uncover, top with remaining cheese and black olives. Bake about 5-10 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve with extra enchilada sauce and chopped jalapenos on the side.