November 2, 2020
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup onion (chopped)
1/2 cup celery (celery)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cups low sodium veggie or chicken broth
1 parsnip (peeled and coarsely chopped)
1 acorn squash (peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped (save seeds for roasting))
1 small sweet potato (peeled and coarsely chopped)
2 Medium carrots (peeled and coarsely chopped)
1 cup 1% milk
Extra broth as needed
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, garlic & next 6 ingredients (cinnamon through garlic powder); sauté 4-5 minutes.
- Add broth, parsnip, squash and carrots.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes or until tender.
- Cool the mixture slightly.
- Place one-third of mixture into blender or food processor and process until smooth
- Pour pureed mixture into large bowl. Repeat step 6 with remaining mixture.
- Return pureed mixture to pot and stir in milk.
- Cook over low heat until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Thin with additional broth as desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper.