December 7, 2020
3 egg whites, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
pinch of fine salt
2 cups unsweetened shredded or grated coconut
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Fill a small bowl with 1 cup of water and set aside.
- Pulse sliced almonds in a food processor a few times to crumble. Remove about 3/4 of the almonds and set aside in a small bowl. Pulse the remaining almonds into a chunky powder and set aside in a small bowl.
- Beat egg whites with a mixer until soft peaks form.
- Beat in sugar a little at a time until completely incorporated into the egg whites.
- Beat in extracts and salt until stiff and glossy peaks form.
- Fold in coconut, flour and first round of coarsely ground almonds.
- Drop by heaping teaspoons onto cookie sheets spacing about an inch apart. Moisten fingers with water and gently round out the cookies and pat tops lightly.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until lightly browned.
- Gently remove to wire racks and let cool. Save the parchment lined cookie sheets.
- While the macaroons cool, melt chocolate chips in a double boiler.
- Dip the bottom of the macaroon into the melted chocolate.
- Using a fork, lift the macaroon and tap the handle of the fork on the edge of the bowl to remove extra chocolate. Place back on parchment lined cookie sheet. Repeat.
- Using a teaspoon, drizzle the cookie tops with any remaining melted chocolate, sprinkle with almond “powder” and let chocolate harden.