March 24, 2020
2lb stew beef (cut into 1-inch pieces)
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup red wine
1 cup beef broth (low sodium is best)
1 cup strong brewed coffee
1/2 cup dark beer (Guinness is my fave)
8oz white mushrooms (brushed and sliced)
3 carrots (sliced)
2 stalks celery (diced)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons black pepper (freshly ground)
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic (minced)
2 small onions (diced)
4 new potatoes (washed and diced)
- Place beef cubes in a large bowl. Add flour and use hands or spoon to toss and coat completely with flour.
- Heat half of oil in large Dutch oven and brown meat on all sides. Do not crowd the pan so do this in batches. Set beef aside.
- Deglaze pan with red wine and stir and scrape bottom of pan with wooden spoon to remove all brown bits.
- Return beef to pot, add next 13 ingredients (broth through black pepper) and stir thoroughly.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer one hour.
- In the meantime saute garlic and onion in olive oil in a medium skillet for about 10 minutes until onion begins to brown. Set aside.
- After one hour add potatoes and browned onion and garlic, cover and simmer one more hour.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.