March 24, 2020
1 bunch fresh cilantro (coarsely chopped – stems included))
1 quart water
Juice of 1/2 lime
1lb skinless and boneless chicken breast
1 cup plain low fat yogurt
1 cup reduced fat sour cream
2 teaspoons cumin
2/3 cups green onion (sliced)
1-1/2 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
1/2 cup black olives (sliced)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup jalapeno peppers (finely chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place first 5 ingredients (cilantro through chicken) in pot on top of stove and poach chicken breasts until cooked (about 20 minutes).
- Remove chicken breasts, discard remaining water, cilantro and onion and set aside to cool.
- When cool, shred into small pieces. This can be done the day before.
- In large mixing bowl, gently combine shredded chicken, yogurt, sour cream, cumin, green onion, 1 and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover bottom of baking dish with enchilada sauce.
- Cover with even layer of tortillas, breaking into pieces as necessary.
- Top with even layer of chicken mixture followed by a layer of enchilada sauce.
- Repeat until chicken is used up and end with layer of tortillas.
- Top with enchilada sauce for recipe), cover and bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes.
- Uncover, top with remaining cheese and black olives. Bake about 5-10 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve with extra enchilada sauce and chopped jalapenos on the side.