https://www.dianehenderiks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/macncheese.jpg 3456 4608 Diane Henderiks /wp-content/uploads/2013/04/horizontal-logo1.png Diane Henderiks2012-08-18 15:42:392017-01-08 07:48:08Diane's Hearty and Healthier Mac-n-Cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup Edam cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup Havarti light cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup reduced fat sharp Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup fresh Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch black pepper (freshly ground)
- 5 cups of cooked pasta - any shape (try whole wheat for a boost of fiber)
- 3/4 cups panko or whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 2 quart casserole dish with olive oil spray.
- Melt butter in medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Stir in flour and whisk milk in slowly until there are no lumps and it starts to thicken.
- Stir in next 7 ingredients (garlic powder through black pepper) and continue to stir until the cheese melts.
- Remove from heat and gently fold in macaroni.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish and evenly top with bread crumbs and remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until top is browned and casserole is bubbling.