https://www.dianehenderiks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/mushroombarleyrisotto.jpg 331 347 Diane Henderiks /wp-content/uploads/2013/04/horizontal-logo1.png Diane Henderiks2012-05-22 17:02:482018-12-01 14:43:43Diane's Mushroom & Fresh Herb Barley "Risotto"
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/4 cup diced shallots
- 1 1/2 cups diced wild mushrooms
- 2 cups uncooked pearl barley
- 5 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon juice
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Lots of freshly grated black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese plus additional shaved for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, celery, shallots and mushrooms. Sauté 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add barley, stir to coat with mixture.
- Add 4 cups broth and wine, stir and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until most of liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in next 6 ingredients (rosemary through grated cheese). Add additional broth if needed.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Garnish with shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and parsley.