April 9, 2020
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 large sweet onion, diced
4 stalks celery, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups clam juice
1 pound red or Yukon gold potatoes, diced
1 handful fresh thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
4 cups low-fat milk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 quart cooked and chopped clam meat
1/2 cup half and half
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy, about 5 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate. Crumble when cooled.
- Add onion, celery, and garlic to the Dutch oven and cook, stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
- Add clam juice, potatoes, thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Whisk milk and flour in a medium bowl until smooth. Stir mixture into chowder and cook, stirring, over medium heat until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add clams, half and half and 3/4 of the crumbled bacon, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve garnished with chives and reserved crumbled bacon.