April 9, 2020
¼ pound bacon or salt pork, diced
1 large sweet onion, diced
4 celery ribs, washed and diced
3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
5 sprigs thyme
2 bay leaves
1 quart of veggie or chicken broth
2 quarts chopped canned clams and the juice; separate juice from the clams
3 cups diced tomatoes; if using canned tomatoes add the juice too
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1 lb of your favorite potatoes, diced
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley.
- Place bacon or salt pork in a large Dutch oven over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the fat has rendered and it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove from the fat and set aside.
- Add onion, celery and carrots to the pot with the pork fat, and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender but not browned, about 6 – 8 minutes. Add red pepper flakes, thyme, bay leaves and pepper and mix well.
- Add broth, clam juice, tomatoes and potatoes. Stir gently to combine, bring to a low boil and cook for about 5 minutes until potatoes are tender but not mushy.
- Add clams, reserved bacon, pepper and parsley. Turn off heat, stir, cover pot and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove thyme sprig and bay leaves and discard.